We are pleased to announce that Prof. S. A. Khaparde and Bruce Usher have agreed to join the Board of Advisors of REConnect Energy.
Prof. Khaparde and Bruce Usher are eminent personalities in their field. Their detailed profiles are included below.
The Board of Advisors will play a key role in strategic guidance and support to REConnect. We are certain that we will be able to draw on their diverse and rich experience to provide better service to our clients.
Bruce Usher is co-director of the Social Enterprise Program and an executive-in-residence at Columbia Business School, where he has been an adjunct professor in finance since 2002, teaching the Carbon Finance and the Finance & Sustainability courses. The objective of both courses is to utilize financial tools to create sustainable value for society.
From 2002 to 2009, Professor Usher was CEO of EcoSecurities Group plc, during which time he built it into the world’s largest public carbon credit company. EcoSecurities structures and guides greenhouse gas emission reduction projects through the Kyoto Protocol, acting as principal intermediary between the projects and the buyers of carbon credits. Professor Usher led EcoSecurities through an IPO, a secondary public placement and strategic investment, and the sale of the entire company to JP Morgan in December 2009. EcoSecurities developed more than 400 projects in 36 countries, representing approximately 10 percent of all projects approved by the United Nations under the Kyoto Protocol.
Prior to EcoSecurities, Usher was co-founder and CEO of TreasuryConnect LLC, which provided electronic trading solutions to banks and was sold to eSpeed Inc in 2001. For the previous six years, he was COO of The Williams Capital Group, a boutique institutional investment bank. Prior to that, he worked in financial services in New York and Tokyo. He is on the boards of E+Co, a nonprofit that finances clean energy entrepreneurs in developing countries, and Community Energy Inc., a renewable energy project development company.
He earned an MBA with distinction from Harvard Business School.
Prof. SA Khaparde
Prof. Khaparde is at the Department of Electrical Engineering at IIT Bombay. His detailed profile is available here
Current Research Areas
Distributed Generation and MicroGrids
Transmission System Expansion Planning
Financial Transmission Rights
Intelligent Power Grid
Smart Power Grid
- Prof. Khaparde was Chairman of the technical committee for “International Conference on Power Systems 2004 – ICPS2004” held at Kathmandu, Nepal, in November 2004.
- He organized and chaired a panel session on, “Power Reforms and Restructuring in Developing Countries” at the IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting 2004, Denver, Colorado, USA.
- He delivered a tutorial on “Availability Based Tariff and its Implementation” at National Power Systems Conference (NPSC) 2004, Chennai, India.
- Prof. Khaparde was the Convener for the 15th National Power Systems Conference, held in December 2008 in Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Bombay.
- Prof. Khaparde has been invited by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) to be the Convener of a group comprising 15 organizations from industry and academics for developing a standard Common Information Model (CIM) for standardization of Data Exchange amongst Control Centers in emerging Power Sector Scenario in India. This is a one year exercise that has started in March 2010.
Visiting Faculty Positons
- Prof. Khaparde has been awarded by the European Commission with Erasmus Mundas scholarship EMIN 2008/2010 for research at Pontificia Comillas University, Madrid, Spain.
- He was visiting faculty in June and July 2008 at University of Western Ontario, London, Canada.
- S. A. Soman, S. A. Khaparde, and Shubha Pandit, “Computational methods for large sparse power system analysis:An object oriented approach” Published by Kluwer academic Publishers,Jan 2002, ISBN 0-7923-7591-2
- S. V. Kulkarni and S. A. Khaparde, “Transformer Engineering Design & Practice,” Published by Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 2004, ISBN: 0-8247-5653-3. http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=DK1232
- S. A. Khaparde, Contributed a chapter on, “Integration of wind power into the grid” in the book , “Wind Power Development in India,” edited by G. M. Pillai. World Institute of Sustainable Energy (WISE), Pune, India, 2006. ISBN 81-902925-0-1.
- S A Khaparde, and A R Abhyankar, Contributed a chapter on, “Transmission Loss Allocation Methodologies” in the book entitled “Grid Security and Management” edited by P. K. Shetty and V. K. Agrawal, PowerLine publishers, New Delhi, India, 2009.
A small article on the above announcement was mentioned on the Hindu Business Line