The Ministry of New & Renewable Energy in consultation with various stakeholders including the Industry and States had come up with the Draft Policy for Repowering of the Wind Power Projects in the month of March this year. After 4 months the Policy has been finalised with an objective to promote optimum utilization of wind energy resources by creating facilitative framework for repowering. Some of the key pints of the policy are mentioned below:
- All the wind turbine generators with the capacity of 1MW or below would be eligible for repowering.
- The Policy offers incentives in form of an additional interest rate rebate of 0.25% over existing rebate available to the new wind projects by IREDA.
- Secondly through benefits like Accelerated Depreciation or GBI that would be made available to the repowering project.
- The power generated corresponding to average of last three years’ generation prior to repowering would continue to be procured on the terms of existing PPA.
- Augmentation of transmission system from pooling station onwards to be carried out by the respective STU.
- During the period of execution of repowering, wind turbines would be exempted from not honoring the PPA for the non-availability
- Similarly, in case of repowering by captive user they will to be allowed to purchase power from grid during the period of execution of repowering.
The Policy can be accessed here.