Uttar Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission (UPERC) has recently announced the draft regulation for Rooftop Solar Photo Voltaic 2019. The draft regulations once notified by the Gazette will supersede “UPERC (Rooftop Solar PV Grid Interactive Systems Gross / Net Metering) Regulations, 2015.” The key highlights from the regulations are as below:
- The maximum peak capacity of the rooftop solar system can’t exceed 100% of the sanctioned load/connected load/ contract load of the consumer.
- The capacity of the grid-connected rooftop solar PV shall not be less than 1kWp and not more than 2MWp.
- Eligible consumers can install the system under either gross-metering or net-metering arrangement.
- For third-party owners entering into a commercial agreement for the rooftop in the premises of the consumers will have to go via a gross-metering method with the DISCOM.
- The third-party owners entering into commercial or lease agreement for the rooftop in the premises of a group of consumers will have to take the net-metering arrangement with the DISCOM.
- Any eligible consumer or third-party owner availing gross-metering arrangement will not be allowed to apply for net-metering within the same premise.
- In order to provide flexibility to rooftop solar power consumer, a provision of mutual sale & purchase of electricity through a peer-to-peer transaction with proper accounting & billing mechanism using blockchain technology to be introduced.
- Any consumer claiming Accelerated Depreciation benefits on the rooftop solar projects will only be eligible to avail net-metering arrangement.
Apart from the above points, the regulation talks about energy accounting & settlement, meter arrangement, application procedure, and registration processes. The regulation also has attached to it various formats of application forms for the consumers.