The Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) recently approved the modification in REC procedure for issuance. The objective of this procedure is to provide guidance to the entities eligible under “CERC REC Regulations, 2010”
This procedure will be applicable to RE Projects and Distribution licensees who have received “certificate of registration” from a central agency. It is important to note that the given procedure will be beneficial for ISTS connected projects as they will now be eligible to issue RECs. The modified procedure is as follows:
|Modified REC Procedure for Issuance|
|The eligible entity shall apply for Issuance of REC on the Web Based Application as per the details given in the Energy Injection Report (EIR) issued by the SLDC/RLDC/Recommendation of SERC for issuance of RECs.|
|They shall also submit the same information in physical form with the Central Agency along with the documents mentioned in the procedure|
|Step 2||After receipt of physical application from the Eligible Entity, the Central Agency shall undertake a preliminary scrutiny within 6 working days to ensure that the Application Form is complete in all respect along with necessary documents and applicable fees and charges|
|Step 3||After conducting the preliminary scrutiny, the Central Agency shall intimate in writing to the Applicant for submission of any further information or clarification, if necessary, to further consider the application for issuance of Renewable Energy Certificates or reject the application.|
|Step 4||While considering any application for issuance of Renewable Energy Certificate, the Central Agency shall verify following information:
-Verification of the time period for which the Central Agency may have
|Step 5||The Central Agency shall issue Renewable Energy Certificates to the Eligible Entity after confirming the duly certified EIR forwarded by the SLDC/RLDC/Recommendation of SERC for issuance of RECs|
|Step 6||The Central Agency shall issue the Renewable Energy Certificates to the Eligible Entity within fifteen (15) working days from the date of receipt of physical application form along with complete information necessary for processing of application for issuance of RECs.|
Key roles and responsibilities of the entities involved are as follows:
A. Eligible Entity :
- In case the RE Generator, as an Eligible Entity is connected with the transmission network, it shall coordinate with the concerned Inter-State Transmission Licensee/Intra-State Transmission Licensee or concerned SLDC/RLDC for record of meter readings and energy injection report corresponding to electricity generated by the said renewable energy project.
- In case the RE Generator, as an Eligible Entity is connected with the distribution network of Distribution Utility, it shall coordinate with the concerned Distribution Licensee for record of meter readings and energy injection report corresponding to electricity generated by the said renewable energy project.
- In case RE generator is a Regional Entity and is connected at the Interstate Transmission Network, it shall submit the request for issuance of Energy Injection Report to respective RLDC.
- Whenever there is a change in legal status of a registered entity (e.g. change from partnership to company, Pvt. Limited to Public Limited, new entity subsequent to demerger, change in ownership of the company, asset sale/transfer to other company, etc.), it shall inform the concerned State Agency and the Central Agency within one month from the date of said change, along with the following:
- Request for revocation of the project from the REC Mechanism
- Request for re-accreditation/fresh accreditation and re-registration/ fresh registration of the project under REC, if desired
- Request for transfer of RECs to the new entity
B. State Load Despatch Centre (SLDC) and Regional Load Despatch Centre (RLDC)
- SLDC and RLDC shall follow the State Grid Code/Indian Electricity Grid Code, as applicable for the purpose of accounting renewable energy injected into the grid.
- The energy injection by Registered RE Generator for the first month, for issuance of REC, shall be applicable from the date of commercial operation or from the date of registration of such plant by the Central Agency, whichever is later till the last day of the same month. However for the subsequent months, the period of energy injection shall be from the first day of the month to the last day of the same month.
- In case the Eligible Entity is a Regional Entity and connected to Inter-state Transmission Network, the respective RLDC shall maintain the record of meter readings. RLDC shall prepare the energy injection report considering the injection at the Transmission System interface point.