The Minister of State for Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines Shri Piyush Goyal informed that the generation of electricity from wind and solar sources in the country stood at 33,029.39 million units and 7,447.92 million units, respectively, during 2015-16.
Quoting the figures received from the Central Electricity Authority (CEA), the minister said during the last two years, i.e., 2014-15 and 2015-16, the country added a total of 5,735 MW of wind power capacity and 4,131 MW of solar power capacity.
It was also told that a capacity addition target of 4,000 MW and 12,000 MW has been proposed for generation of electricity from wind and solar energy, respectively, during 2016-17 and a total of 315 MW have been installed under Solar Roof top Scheme. Power generated from these projects is being used for both domestic and captive use, the minister informed.
Goyal stated that tenders for 20,766 MW solar power projects have been issued. He also said that the wind power projects are mainly developed by private sector under various modes, including PPA, REC, captive use, third party sale etc, adding that the centre has not undertaken construction of wind energy project.
- The ministry is implementing several schemes to promote generation of solar and wind energy. These include: Development of solar parks and ultra mega solar power projects
- Development of solar PV power plants on canal banks / canal tops
- Setting up of 300 MW grid connected solar PV power projects by defense establishments under ministry of defense and Para military forces with viability gap funding (VGF) under Batch-IV of Phase-II/III of Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM)
- Setting up 1,000 MW grid-connected solar PV power projects by CPSUs with VGF under Batch-V of Phase-II of JNNSM
- Setting up of 15,000 MW grid-connected solar PV power projects under Batch II of Phase II of National Solar Mission (by NTPC/NVVN)
- Setting up of 2000 MW grid-connected solar power projects with VGF through Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) and generation based incentive scheme for promotion of wind power.
The press release can be accessed here.